Monday 20 April 2015

Why I can’t marry a fellow actor – Seyi Ashekun

Seyi Ashekun is fast carving a niche for herself as an actress to watch out for. The curvy role interpreter will tell anyone who cares to listen that she isn’t just getting roles because she is curvy, but because she has what it takes to deliver. Last year, she clinched   the award for the Best Actress at the Best of Nollywood awards. The  Ogun state born actress opened up on   her sex for roles and why she desires the bum of Kim Kadarshian, among other issues. 
Why did you decide to become an actress? Continue..

I wanted to be a Newscaster or a TV presenter until I got the opportunity to act in a soap opera in 2006.This really opened my eyes to acting is a good profession. I decided to go for it and here I am today.

What is the best part of being an actress?
The best part of being an actress is the recognition one gets through it. You can imagine how thrilled people are when they see you and how they are ready to help out if you are a personality they love.

What is your opinion on sex for roles. Have you experienced such?
I’ve never been desperate enough for such experience. I studied Mass Communications and I graduated with a good grade, so I can do other things. People around me know that,acting is not a do or die affair for me.

What encouragement will you give to those starting out in the acting career?
They have to be ready to take things one day at a time. A baby never walks the same day it’s born, so they should be ready to grow through the experiences they are sure to have.

What is the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard or read about yourself?
One of such is that I condemned some of my colleagues whose marriages have broken. I’m not married so how can I see myself as an authority on such a topic?

I read somewhere that there was a time you wanted to quit acting. How true is that?
There have been a number of times when I considered getting a white collar job. Acting takes a lot from you financially in the beginning and doesn’t give you anything back. I was working for years and not making enough, it was really frustrating but I thank God for His support.

You were also quoted in an interview, saying you desire to have the bum of Kim Kadarshian. What prompted that statement?

Each time I remember that, I literally laugh out loud. Let me start by saying I believe in looking and feeling good, so I don’t judge people when they decide to do things that boost their confidence. Confidence makes people more attractive. However, I do not like pains and for that, I don’t see myself going under the knife to enhance anything. I made that statement when a reporter asked me what I might get done if I ever considered cosmetic surgery. Saying that really doesn’t mean I would go for it.

What new projects are you working on?
I’m planning on shooting two movies concurrently soon.

Tell me about your first experience as a movie producer, did you make any profit from the movie?
I got to know that being a producer and playing a major role in the same production is no child’s play. I didn’t make profit, but I got back the money I invested. I got a best actress award which I don’t think has been heard of with anyone in my level. I was recognized to a considerable extent. I also got more fans who now give me a reason to do more.

It’s said that actresses don’t get married early and are promiscuous .What do you make of that?
I have seen bankers and doctors who don’t get married until they are well into their 30s. Omotola Jalade   who happens to be my role model, is an actress and a married mother of four. I know other actresses who got married in their 20s and are still married. Promiscuity has nothing to do with the profession. People talk about actresses because they are known.

Would you say being curvy has gotten you more roles?
I’ve only gotten roles based on my ability to interpret them not as a result of being curvy

What  makes you cry?
The thought of children in distress, I can’t stand that one bit. It makes me cry

What is your general opinion on marriage and love?
I believe marriage is necessary. After all, it was ordained by God. I however believe it is meant for mature people, people who are ready psychologically and are capable of loving other people beside themselves.

How bad can you be in a movie?
I will only go as far as decency allows. No extreme exposure of skin.

What is your definition of a sexy woman?
A sexy woman is one who has confidence in herself. She is the one who understands that when it comes to serious business, men prefer women with brains than body.

Can you date someone in the movie industry?
I don’t like so much attention where my love life is concerned, I like to be the only public figure. As an entertainer myself, I really don’t like to date men who are in the entertainment industry.

What changes do you want to see in the movie industry?
I want the industry to be more profitable. I want people to be able to make good profit on their investments. It is really frustrating when you spend so much and get so little.

What would you regard as a memorable day in your life?
The day I won Best of Nollywood Award in the best actress (Yoruba) category. I used to think that was an award that came with age or years of experience. It turned out to be something that comes with God and hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment